[Reader-list] The Vedavatis of this world

Tapas Ray tray at cal2.vsnl.net.in
Fri Aug 5 20:16:16 IST 2005

I am a confirmed lurker on this list (as in a few others), who prefers
listening to talking. But I find myself sufficiently intrigued by the posts
of this person, who calls herself/himself "Vedavati Jogi", to say a few
things. I hope people here will pardon me if my post shows that I have
missed something. I do confess that I haven't read everything over the last
few days.

I am not at all certain that this person is who s/he claims to be. Please
note that the name "Vedavati Jogi" translates as a female yogi, who has
acquired the wisdon of the Vedas ... should have been "Jogini", but that
would have given the game away, and in any case Jogi fits in nicely as a
surname, because we all have heard of Ajit Jogi, haven't we? The point here
is, the name seems too perfect to be real. I suspect it has been dreamt up
by some prankster.

Please also note this jogi's/jogini's email address - vrjogi at hotmail.com.
Good old Hotmail, which - like scores of other free email services - lets
you assume any name that your fertile brain can think up. Not for them the
rigours of identity and address proof (which I have had to provide to VSNL
before being given an account).

What may be the nature of the prank? Again, my suspicion is that this person
is playing the devil's advocate. If s/he were sincerely advocating the
devil's cause, I think s/he would have been - well, tried to be - a little
less crude in her/his advocacy.

Whatever it is - whether or not s/he has her/his tongue in her/his cheek -
would it be too much to ask this person to raise the level of her/his
invectives a little? If s/he does, that will give everybody a chance to
actually discuss things.

Just a thought - even though this list is not moderated, is it not possible
to bounce someone if she/he makes a nuisance of herself/himself?

Tapas Ray