Fw: [Reader-list] The Vedavatis of this world

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Wed Aug 10 17:46:28 IST 2005

Hi Tapas and all,

As a practising pseudo-secularist myself, I of course align with your
and others' reasoned positions politically, and have been quite
disturbed by some of the rhetoric that has recently made its presence
felt on the list.

*However*, I do think we should really refrain here from discussing any
person on the list or her/his personal details, especially if they are
not already public figures.   It happens a lot on the Hindutva lists,
where individuals of a certain political leaning are blacklisted and
discussed in a very personal and invasive way.  I don't think we should
stoop that low, and eventually it's likely to backfire.

Googling is inevitable; but it does raise the spectre of surveillance
and violations of privacy.  To discuss an individual in this way on--
don't forget-- a listserve with over 1100 subscribers worldwide is, I
think, hurtful.  I certainly wouldn't want my identity being probed in
public like that.

And what, after all, happened to sophisticated discussion and analysis?
Humour and irony are always welcome; but with a little sensitivity, please.

My ten paise,
Vivek