Fw: [Reader-list] The Vedavatis of this world

shivam shivamvij at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:38:28 IST 2005

Dear Tapas,

Yousuf and you are both right only if you have seen the film. However,
my point was that Yousuf seems to be objecting to the film without
even seeing it, merely on the basis of VJ's postings on the list -
which, by the way, have nothing to do with the film. In fact, VJ
didn't even tell us she made films - this unrelated detail was brought
in by Yousuf.

Right?

Probably the film does reflect her conservative views. Probably it
does not. We can know this only when we have seen the film.

Let us not match prejudice with prejudice but with reason.

Cheers,
Another pseudo-secularist

On 8/11/05, Tapas Ray <tray at cal2.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
> I think the question boils down to this: can you see the text (Vedavati's
> film) as completely autonomous of the author? Maybe one can interpret it in
> total isolation from its roots, in which case it can be seen as autonomous.
> But that will be only one of many possible interpretations, and "the point
> survives" (as I believe some lawyers like to say) that it was born of a
> concrete situation, at the hands of a person who is herself the product of
> history, both biologically and psychologically, with a certain genetic
> make-up and situated in a certain social setting. If the text is, thus, both
> autonomous and rooted in the author, no matter how the reader "reads" it, is
> it not sure to retain traces of the author's persona? In that case, aren't
> Vedavati's films for children a matter of concern, as Yousuf suggests?
>
> Tapas
>
> > judging the film by its merit, with what the film is, rather than what the
> > filmmaker has been
> > saying on an online mailing list?

We are protean. We can become anything.
www.shivamvij.com (Blog) | mail at shivamvij.com (Email)