[Reader-list] New Work Vs McWork.

khalid jamal zzjamaal at yahoo.co.in
Tue Aug 16 01:32:59 IST 2005

New Work is something that we want to do, something that we are passionate about and something that enables us to explore “it” at the deepest levels.

It is an effort to re-use technology so that it isn’t simply used to speed up the work and churn out merely “quantities”.

Under New Work, the purpose of technology should be to make machines to do work, which is boring, tedious and repetitive. And then humans can do the creative, imaginative and uplifting work.

New Work offers flexi hours, training through videos, formation of teams where information is shared freely , where chain of command called Hierarchy is rather porous, where communication style is informal, where workplace is “your” place and you can keep your family snaps there, and where appearance is crucial yet personal.

As a fast food worker, I always wondered if my work is a “New Work”?

I had flexi-hours, was trained with videos demonstrating the work that I was supposed to do on the floors, the chain of command was porous , spoke to several mangers and addressed them by their first name and

So on.

Despite all the research, I have yet to find this answer..

At times I feel it is indeed a New Work; where practical training with innovative ways is given, where my time and space is given to perform and it allows me to work with people of my age who I identify with.

But at other times, with all the standardization being followed so strictly, in terms of production of food, serving them, re-producing them and re-serving them
all in a pre-decided uniform way, I wondered if I am a creative user of the gadgets which are used for production  , or I am merely a “human” component of this whole machinery which is involved in mass production of food stuff, across the world??

Notwithstanding this dilemma, there are certain unique things that I recognized as a worker of these glittering urban spaces.

One, work has multiple interpretations. Number of hours are same, job profile is same, working conditions are same and work culture is same yet the motivation behind work is so diverse. Some work only to get some extra money, other see a long-term career with hotel management degrees while others work just because they think that this work is “hep” as you are under air-conditions all the time, speak and learn English, gain confidence and prepare yourself for “ better” jobs outside this industry.

Reasons are several for such diversity. One of them is the fact that a good chunk of this work force come from small towns of UP, Bihar and other states, and settle in big cities , to “earn-money” and have different backgrounds.

Second observation is that fast food chains offer “low” wages yet, one can find deep aspirations to excel in work, no mater what the motivation –to-work is. Every one wants to be the-Employee- of-the –Month and be the-Rising-Star.

Third, it is apparent to find workers working as team to produce goods, say burger. From order taking to delivering, the whole work is cut into pieces and delegated. There are also pre-shift meetings, huddles and post- shift brain storming sessions, which are all characteristics of a Teamwork, a collective effort. Yet there are no unions. In other words, the collective bargaining seems to be missing when it comes to the demand of the rights of workers. This is strategically discouraged, prevented or controlled.

Fourth, more than the “work” per se, it is the “time factor” involved in work which is more crucial. In fact one of the most important determinants of the “quality” of work is time, which refers to the Intensity of work.

Call-time, order taking time, delivery time processing time and time to re-confirm an order is pre-decided in the meticulously designed work culture curriculum.

To quote an example, if a pizza is delivered in 171/2 min. in pizza hut, then it’s a good pizza no matter how it is cooked. And if it is delivered in more than the given time, it’s bad. The logic is simple: If the pizza is badly cooked, we will deliver another one as a complementary, so at all times “Hurry-up culture” will have to be followed.

Also the regimentation in fast food restaurants gives managers’ enormous amount of power over their employees. In fact, it’s the Manual which is followed like a bible, whether it is time-factor as mentioned earlier or the product dimensions (burgers are always to be placed in a row of 6 and French fries are always to be 0.28 inches thick..)

So when management determines exactly how every task is to be performed  and can impose its own rule about pace, output, quality and technique, its makes workers increasingly interchangeable .So now management does not have to consider the talents and skills of its workers- those things are built into the operating systems and machines.

Jobs that have been deskilled can be filled cheaply. The need to retain any individual worker is grossly diminished by the ease with which he or she can be replaced.

This brings in the mobility-bias and gender –preferences, being widely practiced by the mangers, into picture. Workers fluent in English and with “open” body language is often seen at the service station while others who not so glib-English speakers are put into delivery or kitchen i.e. BOH (Back of House).

So now when we go to any of the fast food joints, we pull open the glass door.. feel the rush of cool air and bright neon lights.. Visually appealing walls, tables and chairs
 walk-in
.get-in the line
read the well-lit menu right above the counter space
place our orders....pay the money
.and watch a “pleasant” teenager in uniform punching-in some thing into the machine
and in few moments popping up to extend a plastic tray full of food wrapped in colored paper and cardboard.

And we are done!!

“Anyting else,Sir??”

Fast food chains have not only quick-fixed the way workers work and perform but, has also, in several ways, fixed our dining-out experience and hence making us, the customers, part of the sub-culture, which is formed beyond the boundaries of work-place but originating from its very own work-culture.

ONE LIFE. ONE SHOT.

Happiness, Health & Peace,
Syed Khalid Jamal