[Reader-list] Note on Presentation

kaiwan mehta kaiwanmehta at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 08:17:17 IST 2005

Hi
 I am sending the abstract for my presentation.
 Thanking you,
Reagrds,
Kaiwan

*A History of Everyday*

* *

History searches for the heroic in the everyday. Conceptually the everyday
subverts the heroic. Quoting Blanchot, "the everyday has this essential
trait: it allows no hold. It escapes. It belongs to insignificance, and the
insignificant is without truth, without reality, without secret, but perhaps
also the site of all possible signification(s)."

 As I have worked on this project, my negotiation with the everyday has
become more and more apparent. This project has toyed with various ideas and
exercises, much like a rag picker! One has struggled with History, Urban
Communities and Representations. One has walked and held innumerable
conversations and the power of observation is the greatest tool. As I
mentioned once earlier too, it feels like Alice, one is swimming through
reality sights and story weavers continuously.

 This paper will narrate some experiences during this passage. It will try
an attempt a single narrative to connect some experiences and observations
that came up on the way. I will also attempt at a summary of some ideas like
*communities and neighbourhoods - representing the locality and writing
histories*.

 The presentation will contain a power point slide show with images only. I
will carry a CD of this and it may also be on my laptop.

 I will try and contain the presentation within 20 mins.

--
Kaiwan Mehta
Architect and Urban Reseracher

11/4, Kassinath Bldg. No. 2, Kassinath St., Tardeo, Mumbai 400034
022-2-494 3259 / 91-98205 56436