[Reader-list] presentation abstract - A ethnographic study of film viewing cultures in Delhi.

Anannya Mehtta anannyaleh at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 13:36:00 IST 2005

Abstract –

For the independent fellowship project with Sarai I researched film viewing cultures in Delhi. The title of my work is –A ethnographic study of film viewing cultures in Delhi

Over the last few months – spoke to many regular watchers of non-commercial films in Delhi –interviewing them and as a result also making friends with many of them. I had started out by asking myself why do people come for these film screenings? If the motivation behind these regular visits to film societies is more than just the watching of the film itself?

 What is it that people take back?

Finally what is role of these places within the life of the city? In an attempt to understand these question I also asked myself if there was theoretical, context through which I could make sense of this culture? If these sites by which I mean the film centers and film clubs construct a politics of its own?

My presentation at Sarai will be divided into small parts – I will share my answers to the questions asked above. While doing this I will also re –tell a memory based history of film viewing from the 1970’s to the present. In the presentation I shall share very briefly from a dairy I kept during these months, along with my own diary entries I will share some biographies of those who come to watch non-commercial films.

http://mail.yahoo.com