[Reader-list] What ails the Sarai Reader List?

punam zutshi punam.zutshi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 15:13:20 IST 2005

Dear Kiran,

After composing this e mail, I recalled that the form argument you
were making used the Sarai reader list as an example of a 'community'
that the audience was familiar with.And in a sense, one is devoting
more time to the 'ills' /'ailments' of the list as an end in itself,
hoping that the questions of form and content will also be addressed
in one's responses to you.

I think some feedback from Sarai readers (and administrators) as to
what they want may be helpful in attending to the question of helping
improve an e mail based list.You said the list was crumbling and I
wonder what the 'symptoms' of this are.Was it better than it is? I do
not know, being relatively new to this list.

I am sure the responses will be both about issues to which technical
solutions have to be found/can be found and others would be about
critical responses to say the lack of discussion, which was a grouse
you certainly had.Would solving the latter problem be dependent
entirely on rearranging the structural elements ?

Sarai's own targets and agenda will also have to be taken into consideration.

I think the qualitative differences between the Live Journal and the
Reader List must be considered too.The first is primarily from your
account of it, a bloggers network.

I want to as a 'consumer' want to answer things of concern to me:
Is the load of the Sarai Reader List too high? No.
Does the flood of e mails by month end bother me? No.
How does one deal with the list? Does one want it more orderly
accessible fashion? I see little problem in the exercise of a degree
of judgement and selection.Why should deletion of messages be a
problem? I would like to receive whatever is posted and do the
screening myself.

Hard boundaries and Soft boundaries apart, I think the Reader needs to
be included as a formal element in your analysis.

I wish I understood the 'breaking of thread' technicalities a little
better but I do feel that I would like greater options in searching
the archive which is in principle a faithful chronicle but not an
archive, a sequence and not a set of categories.

Punam