[Reader-list] [Announcements] EVENINGS @ SARAI

Aarti aarti at sarai.net
Thu Dec 1 17:57:29 IST 2005

*EVENINGS @ SARAI

*Dear All,

Winter is here and we thought it would be a good idea to warm things up
with coffee and conversation in the Sarai cafe, and elsewhere in Delhi.
So this month we have a series of 'conversational' events lined up -
book readings, open mic and more.

So come, spread the word and bring your friends.

Hears to seeing you, and to the warmth of conversations.

Warmly,

Aarti Sethi

Open Mic: An Evening of Poetry and Spoken Word

==============================

* Open Mic: An Evening of Poetry and Spoken Word*
5:30 pm, Monday, 12 December 2005
Featured Performer: *Jeet Thayil*

This month we invite friends interested in experimenting with the
poetic/prose form to jam in the Sarai cafe. We hope this can become a
regular event in which people working across forms such as film,
image-making, sound and text can come together and share their work in
an open, relaxed and fun context.

Everyone will get 5-7 minutes to read, and the mic will circulate. You
can share poetry, spoken word, a short prose piece, a performance,
singly or in groups, in any language (though do be prepared to translate
for those uninitiated :) The reading order will be decided on a
first-come-first-serve basis.'Live readings' will be interspersed with
recordings of poetry and spoken word by Allen Ginsberg, Langston Hughes,
Sylvia Plath among others. This month's featured performer is Jeet Thayil.

So come, spread the word and invite your friends!

====================
Book-reading @ Sarai
====================

*New Life*
Sharmistha Mohanty
5:30 pm, Thursday, 15 December 2005
Interface Zone
Sarai-CSDS

We invite you for an evening

of coffee and conversation with Sharmistha Mohanty, author of 'New
Life'. Sharmistha will read sections
from the book and Vivek Narayanan will be the discussant for the evening.

"The past comes through in New Life as so many melodic lines converging
and then separating in strange yet vaguely familiar ways. These lines, I
am afraid, will haunt you, because just when you will begin to think
nostalgia is getting you, you will recognise in some surprise that it is
not a lost world that Sharmistha Mohanty is invoking but a living world
that survives in fragments, tentatively yet confidently, all around us.
It is a world that has lost none of its vitality for being
half-forgotten or cornered. The search is not for a lost history but for
a self within which fragments of past selves will find a place."

- Ashis Nandy.

[Sharmistha Mohanty received a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
(Fiction) from the Iowa Writer's Workshop. She is the author of the
screenplay for the film Nazar (1989) by Mani Kaul, and two novels-- Book
One (1995) and the just published New Life (India Ink /Roli Books,
2005). Her fiction has also appeared in the journals, Ploughshares
(Boston), Siecle 21 (Paris) and Gender and History (London), and Inertia
Magazine (New York, online.]

==============================
==================
Sarai Reader 05: Bare Acts Picnic II: The Border

*The Border*
Lodhi Gardens, Delhi
3:00 pm, Saturday, 24 December 2005
Directions: Gather at Lodhi Gardens, Gate No. III (next to India
International Centre, Joseph Stein Marg) at 2:30 PM.

 From this November onwards we have initiated a monthly informal
discussion around particular texts from the Sarai Readers. We have begun
by looking at Sarai Reader 05: Bare Acts. The idea is to get different
people to respond to texts from their particular locations and
perspectives, and share this with a group of interested interlocutors in
an informal, conversational setting. Each month we will consider a
different set of texts grouped around a broad theme. Visitors are
welcome to bring snacks and beverages to
provide the conversation with nourishment!

The first picnic was held on the 5th of November at Lodhi gardens around
the themes of Gender and Sexuality. This month's session on the
afternoon of the 24th of December, is called 'The Border' in which we
will try and explore the many ways in which the conditions of the
border, or borderline conditions, become generalized.

The following texts will be discussed. If you would like to be a
discussant for a text, and for more information about the picnic, write
to Aarti Sethi: aarti at sarai.net <mailto:aarti at sarai.net>

Marginalia by Kai Friese: http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/03/05_kai.pdf

The Discovery of the Fifth World: Stealth Countries and Logo nations by
Meta Haven Project: http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/03/01_metahaven.pdf

The Strange Case of Qays Al Kareem, by Tripta Wahi:
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/03/04_qay.pdf

On Smugglers, Pirates and Aroma Makers, by Ursula Biemann:
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/03/06_ursula.pdf

Dreams and Disguises, As Usual, by Raqs Media Collective:
http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/03/09_raqs.pdf

Lepers, Witches and Infidels & It;s a Bug's Life, by Francesca Da
Rimini: http://www.sarai.net/journal/05_pdf/01/04_francesca.pdf