[Reader-list] Re: Indian print media: critique

aasim khan aasim27 at yahoo.co.in
Mon Dec 12 23:17:02 IST 2005

Hi.

I sense asort of nervousness....well here is a
response by novelist/junk daddy Will Self talking
about media...all sorts of it.i mean dont take two
minute maggi noodles too seriously.you know thats the
thing about braking news...it is so delicious that you
always want a double pack with NEW tastemaker.also
availbale in chicken and tomato flavours.you can read
the wrapper to work your way with the noodles....

So read on...this guy is honest like hell..i mean most
of it is british centric but it is universally honest
anyways...And this guy is also a journalist.i like
what he says about NEW media.
cheers AASIM>

Newspapers: I scan all the newspapers but not with any
great regularity. I only regularly read the
Independent because my wife and I write for it. The
Saturday papers are really now the Sunday papers so
why bring yourself down on a Sunday by reading one?
Magazines: The New Statesman and nothing else. All the
men's glossies are fanny-rags aimed at men younger
than me with a taste in smelly water and expensive
schmutter - neither of which I have the time or
inclination for. I used to get the New Yorker, which
they sent me free but I'm rather grateful they
stopped.

Article continues

Books: I'm an ominivore. Like all serious writers, I
read everything that I can lay my hands on but it's
mostly factual, historical or philosophical. I'm
reading Paul Theroux's Hotel Honolulu which is jolly
good and before that, Francis Wheen's Karl Marx, which
was hilarious and timely.
Television: I am the only TV critic who has to be
reminded how to turn it on. I watch Newsnight but
that's just radio with pictures.

Radio: That's just television without pictures -
equally distressing. I like radio because we didn't
have a television when I was a kid. I'll listen to
anything in the car - Radio 4, News Direct and a bit
of Radio 2.

Films: I love them but sadly I don't get the
opportunity to go to the cinema.

Adverts: I don't know what they are really. The very
idea that they are considered some kind of cultural
artefact is synonomous with the fact that the Labour
party has now become a centre right party. As Bill
Hicks said, "If any artist ever is involved in an
advert, then he ceases to be an artist."

New media: Never has the future seemed so dated. To
actually look at it is like television without the
definition, radio without the artistry and text
without the purity and simplicity. It's my age - it
just doesn't appeal.

=== message truncated ===>