[Reader-list] Re: [Urbanstudy] Re: Problematizing Definitions

anant m anant_umn at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 08:11:45 IST 2005

zainab,
i remember once suggesting dipesh chakrabarty's
provincializing europe in response to something you
said. one thing i learnt from this book is to think
about the universal as a placeholder. it is always the
particular that occupies that place. the challenge is
in finding ways of translating one particular into the
other without using a middle term. useful as this is,
somehow it seems to gloss over the complexity of power
relationships in our daily life. i find this
particularly distressing in our debates on the rights
discourse. ragpickers have a sense of rights and
entitlements too, i suspect, which our own sense of
rights and universality blocks out in such a way that
we either impose our notion of rights on their
experience or we slip into a rationalization of our
outsiderness. hence the importance of the kind of
writing you do. it allows us to think about how we
talk with other people. keep posting.
anant

=== message truncated ===>