[Reader-list] Re: [Urbanstudy] Re: Problematizing Definitions

Priyasha Kaul priyashakaul at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 22:26:07 IST 2005

hi zainab,
      enjoyed you writing, as always. I agree with you on the
problematics of the entire 'rights discourse', but i feel as much as
it is derided in "intellectual circles" today, it continues to be
important because even though the city as a public space and its
subjective carving out in the lived sense remains wildly different
from differing standpoints, the important thing is that those
experiences and understandings are at one level related to ones rights
in the everyday sense of living rather than an objective/bounded and
defined legal sense. and the enforcement of these rights is
necessarily related to power (in the foucauldian sense) which
privileges the rights and understandings of some in society over
others.

 "Intervention" or alternatively the lack of it, therefore, in
whatever form, be it through government agencies or the NGO-type,
becomes a doubly problematic issue since it tends to become a
phenomenological exercise in what they think are the "rights" of the
rest of society.

Best
Priyasha