[Reader-list] Re: [Urbanstudy] Re: Problematizing Definitions

Jamie Dow jamie.dow at pobox.com
Thu Dec 22 19:11:23 IST 2005

Prem
Many thanks for this. Great stuff.
All of this seems sound methodology - in pursuing any enquiry or practical
project, one should keep open a sensitivity to the contributions made by
theoretical considerations AND detailed actual phenomena 'on the ground' as
we say.

But - despite agreeing with everything you say - I don't see how that helps
clarify things here.
The project is clearly one of inquiry (the immediate aim is understanding,
not *doing* anything, though that might follow later).

But what is it an enquiry *about*? Is it

(1) What concepts of culture do various people have, and have various people
had, and how have these concepts been deployed?
(2) What is culture, and how does it work?
(3) How has the word "culture" been used / how is it typically used?

And I can't see how what you have said helps here.
Despite the fact that I agree with you pretty much all the way through.
(Although I don't quite understand your first paragraph - which may be a
crucial step that I'm missing. If your first para contains the key, perhaps
you or someone else can explain.)

Cheers, J
Jamie Dow Tel: +44 131 467 2115 Mob: +44 7801 033499 Email:
jamie.dow at pobox.com <mailto:jamie.dow at pobox.com>  Web:
www.jamiedow.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
<http://www.jamiedow.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/>