[Reader-list] Hypertextual Poetry: A Study of MSN PoetryCommunities

Punam Zutshi pz at vsnl.net
Wed Feb 2 00:44:05 IST 2005

Rahul,

I may be speaking out of turn...not sure of the rules of the reading list,
perhaps it is far more courteous to let River/Nitoo respond.I lamely hope
this may be viewed as a way of pushing River to respond!

You write at the end of your mail "I think a study of cyber communities
merits a much larger scope and can unravel many interesting findings about
human behavior. The point I want to make is that your research may intersect
with a domain
 that might require a more rigorous approach than one may expect from just a
viewpoint of poetic expression"

If the participation in poetry communities is a method of participant
observation as River/Nitoo Das is proposing , then drawing on one's own
experience and poetic expression no longer remains just a resource or a
viewpoint but becomes ethnography or at least a case study not less rigorous
than the questions that you have so systematically drawn attention to.

The idea of community and communities and poetry , hypertextual and
otherwise can certainly be illuminated but human behaviour in any meaningful
sense, may be a bit beyond the scope of this project.

Regards,

Punam