[Reader-list] inde fellowship - first posting

Ritika ritika at sarai.net
Thu Feb 3 20:24:50 IST 2005

Dear Muthatha,
hi!
Glad to meet a fellow geographer on the list. I am ritika - almost
finishing my M.phil in urban geography from Delhi School of Economics,
Delhi University.

I got interested in your work plan for couple of (selfish) reasons:
a) Sometime back i confided in two of my seniors and told them that two
issues that i would want to work on in one way or the other are-
environment and ICT for development.....okie stop laughing now - i know
my interests couldn't have been broader!! Anyways, In your work I can
see that possibility of interface that i was wanting to understand.

b) In my geography department, there's lot of hype about GIS as well.
Nobody wishes to question it. Its like Geographers have got into
"IT"..and what else could they have asked for...?? I am obviously a bit
critical to this. I am not denying that GIS is good etc etc...but i need
more reference points to make sense. And i feel that your work will help
me to that and also broaden up my understanding of the issues involved.

I'll be looking forward to your postings.

My current reserach interest is flowing from my M.phil thesis. One of my
case studies was slaughterhouse. Right now i am not pursuing in
regularly, but will get back to it soon. I am however, thinking of
atleast doing a photo documentation of the same - if nothing else.
So on and off i get back to it. As a geographer i was interested in
looking at the idea of core and periphery in terms of relocation of
polluting sites - and slaughterhouse was one of the cases.

If you're interested to read some of my fieldwork, please visit my site:
http://blog.sarai.net/users/ritika

I suggest if you don't have a blog - then set it up. Its lot of fun and
it keeps archiving everything that you think - so its really fun to read
through it and realsie where u are going...or not going...!!

Looking forward to hear more from you,
cheers
ritika

--
Ritika Shrimali
The Sarai Programme

http://blog.sarai.net/users/ritika

What good is that life which does not get provoked or provokes.
Gottfried Benn