[Reader-list] Re: barbed wire and GATES

mahmood farooqui mahmoodfarooqui at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 11:14:13 IST 2005

Interesting to see Barbed wire figuring in this
discussion...I wrote a little piece on it a while
ago...it may interest you...

The revenge of the cows it would be, if only they had
some agency in bringing it about, the mad cow disease
I mean. All through the Primary years in the
Government School where I studied, we used to have to
write an essay on the virtues of the cow. The
sanctimoniousness of rote-learning, school children
cramming in their throat (as the Sanskrit word
kanthasth dictates) homilies that would grace and
validate the sacred foundation of the Nation. Withal,
there was never any reason, any possibility even, of
learning what we have done to the cow. As for the
opponents of this liturgical praise, all they could
tell us was how the cow was never sacred, how much of
it was eaten in Ancient India. Good, so we ate it, we
eat it still, and when we don’t eat it we yoke it, we
milk it and then we abandon it, for fearless
streetwallahs to shoo it this way and that. Same
difference really.

In two simple steps, even for the best, the history of
the cow, all kine and cattle in fact, is over. Man
hunts and gathers, man domesticates and the plentiful
crops begin to ripen, almost as promised by God. How
exactly does one domesticate a bunch of wild animals
except by taming that wildness, by enclosing,
training, instilling fear of walls, pens, beams,
sticks, ropes, rods, yokes? Generation after
generation, century after century, the process goes on
and on, fear on a collective scale, fear evenly spread
out, fear communicated through various, technological,
devices before millions and millions of cattle
everywhere in the world are domesticated, made
subservient, become obedient to our call, our need,
our power and dominance. There is an invisible
violence, centuries and millennia of violence behind
every grain, every morsel we take. Is it possible to
inflict such violence and remain unsullied?

Yes, says a Nobel winner, in these very pages. “The
world is what it is, he announces, and men who are
nothing, who allow themselves to become nothing, have
no place in it.” Indeed if this is so of men, what of
cattle? How indeed does one separate them? A question
easily answered in Asia Minor and all the world
religions which have emerged from there. Man is
Ashraful Makhlooqaat in the Quran, the first among
created beings in the Bible, and so can partake of the
world as he sees fit. Yet, this is not about the
merits or demerits of this or that civilization. The
cow holding the earth on its horn, according to Hindu
mythology, goes round with it, implicating all. Before
one conquers other human beings, one conquers the
cattle.

Take Barbed wire for instance, seemingly always
present, but in fact a discovery, an innovation
really, of the eighteenth century. Reviel Netz,
American historian and philosopher explored the
development of this controlling and pain-inducing
technology in an article in the London Review of Books
a few years ago. Netz’ account was searing as he
described the slow and protracted way by which the new
and scientific fence came to be perfected. He
estimated the numbers that would have died before cows
or horses or bulls began to be, collectively,
frightened of the barbed wire.

>From controlling cattle to controlling humans is but a
short step. Netz describes how it was adapted to
control people in Nazi concentration camps and the
Russian Gulag. Physical control over space was no
longer symbolic after 1874. It is like being hurled
through a trap door, this merciless account of modern
history through the lens of motion being prevented,
after being brought up on a triumphant died of
histories of technology concentrating on ever faster
ever higher motion.

The history of human economic activity is also the
history of appropriation of space, but that conquest,
that colonization is not merely external, it is also
internal. Even as civilization and technology march
ahead, the underbelly of that technology, the upturned
soil of its path, has a story. Drawing together the
history of humans and animals, Netz delivers a
compelling new perspective on the issues of
colonialism, capitalism, warfare, globalization,
violence, and suffering that asks us to do nothing
short of revising almost all our ideals, progress,
modernity, development and most of all, civilization.
The essay, now expanded into a book called Barbed Wire
is out from the New England Press this year.

=== message truncated ===