[Reader-list] Everyday Conversations and Tsunami

zainab at xtdnet.nl zainab at xtdnet.nl
Thu Feb 10 09:08:44 IST 2005

Dear All,
It is interesting how everyday conversations produce/transform events. I
have been hearing and reading about the Tsunami in everyday conversations.

The Tsunami occured on 26th Dec (if my memory is still sound and safe).
There was a scare that the Tsunami will affect Mumbai. I was in the BMC's
office the next day and there were frivolous discussions about the Tsunami
hitting Mumbai. One of the clerks in the department where I was sitting
said to his colleague, "Arre, you know Tsunami will never hit Mumbai.
Don't worry. Mumbai is the land of ancient saints (santon ki bhoomi hai
yeh Mumbai!). Nothing will happen here. Chill." Of course, he was praying
that the Tsunami hits the neighbouring village so that his mother-in-law
who was planning to visit them does not land up at their place.

Early this week, in the citybytes section of Times of India, there was a
story of two male commuters speaking to each other in the local train. One
of them said to the other, "Yaar, too much rush and crowd in the train.
Can't even stand on two feet properly." The other said, "Don't worry man.
With the slum demolitions, the population of the city is reducing so there
will be some more space to stand properly in the trains. Now all we need
is a Tsunami to hit Mumbai and we can then travel comfortably!"

Two days ago, Pushpa, our maid, was washing utensils in the sink. There is
a fairly large chamber below the sink where the water drains out. That
day, there was heavy clogging in the drains and the drain water began to
flow out. Pushpa opened the chamber door and water spilled out. Instantly
she said to my mother, "Arre bai, yeh apne ghar mein tsunami kahan se aa
gaya??? (Madam, where/how did this tsunami come into our house???)"

Cheers,
Zainab

Zainab Bawa
Bombay