[Reader-list] Re: reader-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 28

Keith Hart keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 16:32:26 IST 2005

Sou,

I think there is broad agreement between us on where memory comes from.
I like your formulation concerning memory, imagination and fiction. In
my fiction, any character is partly me, partly people I know and partly
made up. Nor is there much controversy over what representation is. The
key issue is whether ritual has to be collective or might be just an
aspect of personal life. In this respect, we have Durkheim at one end
and William James at the other. Vic Turner is nearer to Durkheim, but
open to the more personal variety of religious experience. The guy I am
pushing, Roy (Skip) Rappaport -- don't forget to spell it right -- has
an even wider conception that embraces the two ends in an evolutionary
theory that attributes the origin of humanity to the joint appearance of
language and religion (and with it of the holy). Ritual is then the way
we affirm our individual place in society, which is not far from
Durkheim, but less tied to particular forms of society and more an
aspect of our shared humanity. The basic idea is that language generates
the lie and ritual gets us over the hump of disbelief into common projects.

For Rappaport (whose book I edited for publication after his death),
money is the root of evil, indeed the main source of lies today. Whereas
for me, it is the source of collective memory as well as an expression
of individual desire, a way of keeping track of some of the exchanges we
enter with others. I envisage the principle of personal credit replacing
the state as money, but only within the wider framework of a common
civilisation. The word after all comes from Juno Moneta, the mother of
the muses and thus custodian of the arts and sciences, as well as of the
mint. And the first meaning of the verb moneo in Latin is to bring to
mind. In my work, I try to detach money and markets, at least
historically and analytically, from the capitalism that makes our tiem
an age of money in a more demonic sense.

Keith