[Reader-list] Community Radios closed or restricted; Human Rights Groups call for action on Nepal (Modified by geert lovink)

DeeDee Halleck dhalleck at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 10 23:23:07 IST 2005

From: activist at mediatank.org

Excerpt from today's New York Times, followed by statement from Human
Rights groups:

=====================
NYT February 8, 2005

Nepal's King Cracks Down on Politics and News Media By AMY WALDMAN

KATMANDU, Nepal, Feb. 7 - Instead of the usual spicy mix of current
affairs and politics, the subject of Radio Sagarmatha's talk show on
Saturday night was as bland as rice.

In fact, the subject was rice: the differences, as explained by a
scientist, between golden, wild and other varieties. That was the
only topic the independent Nepali FM station felt safe to discuss.

"Normally I don't do that kind of program," a 31-year-old journalist
at the station said, laughing nervously as a soldier listened. When
the soldier - one of six lounging around the station - moved off, the
smile fell away.

"Our hands are tied," the journalist said.

Six days ago Nepal's king ended the country's 15-year experiment with
democracy and took power for himself, imposing a state of emergency
and suspending a host of civil liberties, including freedom of
expression. Nepalis have been facing something between fear and a
farce since then, adjusting to a combination of royal rule and
martial law. Those in politics and the news media feel particularly
under siege.

In a televised address last Tuesday morning, King Gyanendra said he
was taking power for three years because the country's fractious
political parties had failed to hold elections or bring Maoist rebels
to peace talks. As he spoke, phone lines and Internet connections
were being cut, political and student leaders were being detained and
soldiers were arriving at news organizations' offices to take on
their new role as censors.

Nepalis now have no freedom of assembly, expression or opinion; no
right to information, property or privacy; and no protection from
preventive detention. The government has banned any criticism of the
king's action for six months, and any public comment that could
affect the morale of the security agencies.

Widespread international condemnation has done nothing to slow the
arrest of political and student activists, with the military
insisting that the detentions are necessary to prevent protests
against the king. . . .

====

Human Rights Community Statement:

Kathmandu - 14 key civil society members met to make a statement on Feb
1
2005. The statement said:

After King Gyanendra's speech he dismissed the cabinet, took all power,
and
established his own government. This action is directly in opposition to
the basic values and norms of democracy. From today's meeting by human
rights activists and the people from civil society, we condemn these
steps
by the king. After the king has taken power in Nepal, he has issued a
declaration of emergency. This is a direct threat and violation of human
rights. This declaration is in violation of numerous international
accords
that Nepal is a signatory to and accountable for. In this serious and
sensitive situation, we are assembling this meeting in order to request
the national and international community to secure and restore all human
rights codes and accords:

1) Condemning the arrest of the political leaders and human rights
defenders and demanding that their locations be revealed. 2) The RNA
must
immediately stop closely directly and indirectly monitoring all media,
human rights defenders, and outspoken individuals. We are specially
requesting the diplomatic community to assist with arrange security
within
Nepal and outside Nepal for all these individuals. 3) Without any
reason,
the mass communication and media have been shut down. This irresponsible
act will create significant obstacles for the general people. This is
why
we are asking the international community to arrange a systematic mass
communication for the people of Nepal. 4) We are requesting an
independent
and sovereign human rights commission. This commission is unable to do
work
properly right now. We are requesting a guarantee of proper work
environment for the commission. 5) The country's human rights situation
is
worsening significantly. We are requesting that United Nations and human
rights organizations conduct human rights monitoring in Nepal

Signatories: 1) Subodh Raj Pyakural, INSEC 2) Govinda Bandi, Nepal Bar
Association [Human Rights Committee] 3) Shobhakar Budhadhoki, CEHURBS ?
4)
Pradeep Shankar Wagle, Nepal Bar Association [Human Rights Committee] 5)
Rajesh Hamal, Advocacy Forum 6) Madhav Pradhan, CIWIN Nepal 7) Bhanu
Bhakta
Dhakal, Mahendra Narian Smriti Pratestan 8) Usha Titikshu, Civic
Solidarity
for Peace 9) Dinesh Prasain, Collective Campaign for Peace (CoCAP) 10)
Samir Nepal, Human Rights Alliance 11) Gopal Siwakoti, INHURED 12) Surya
Bahadur XXX, NGO Federation 13) Anil Bhattarai, Nepal South Asia Center
(NESAC) 14) Swanaam, Civic Solidarity for Peace

All 14 signatories of the document are now under threat of arrest by
RNA,
who is searching for the activists. They are living underground.