[Reader-list] A man, with his notes, in the city... (music and copy culture)

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Mon Feb 21 13:01:44 IST 2005

I'd like to add my appreciation for Bhagwati's work which I think is brining
a much needed anthropological angle into the property/copy discussions, and
I'm also having my thinking expanded by his work.

The goal of the transnational capital (as i see it) is to flatten and
incorporate spaces of difference under open signifiers ("piracy") that are
controlled through exclusive and expensive social/legal technologies. In
other words, to make words like "piracy" apply to as many activities as
possible that do not result in direct benefit to transnational capital.

Detailed studies such as this show how the "copy" is not a purely
technological/instrumental activity, but describes a diverse range of social
practices that needs to be understood within a system of relations (albeit
relations that are structured by external forces as well as internal ones).

 One of the themes of the January conference seemed to be the need for a
better understanding of these relationships, and as Jaszi noted *new
narratives* can do a lot of good work in the legal. Questions of genre
(highlighted in Bhagwati's other postings), ritual and sociality are I think
underexplored in these discussions.

Not really adding much to Jeebesh's summary, but just some thoughts and to
say I'm also enjoying and leaning from this work - thanks!

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net
http://weblog.dannybutt.net  <<-- new!