[Reader-list] and Gandhi dies again...

Keith Hart keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 16:19:30 IST 2005

Vishwajyoti Ghosh,

I was moved by your account of how your art works suffered an assault by
fascist thugs. I live near the Gare du Nord and know the Gandhi Fried
Chicken place you mention. So that brought an immediacy to what is
normally a rather abstract process of reading..

Your epigraph about religion and morality is wise, but didn't the
perpetrators of the deed that this was exactly what their actions stood
for? I raise this not just as a rhetorical problem, but as an issue that
inevitably rises if politics is to be built on a foundation of morality
and religion.

And I wonder if you are comparing like with like when you contrast these
people with the liberal heroes of India's independence movement. As your
header points out, Gandhi was shot by someone not unlike those who burnt
your drawings and many people died in genocidal attacks at the time. Do
you really mean to say that Indian society as a whole or even its
political class alone has deteriorated since then? Again, I raise this
question, not to put you on the spot, but because I too feel that we
have lost something that the world generated in the 1940s, but I am not
sure of the basis for my judgment..

Keith Hart