[Reader-list] child friendly environment

Amit Basu amitrbasu50 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Feb 25 11:39:04 IST 2005

ALSO READ:

Pathological Child Psychiatry and the Medicalization of Childhood. Sami Timimi. Brunner-Routledge; ISBN: 1583912169. 2002. Review of this book: bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/325/7371/1043/a
Amit Basu

schatte2 at ncsu.edu wrote:
Dear Shveta,

Thanks for your interest in my study. I would love to discuss it with you
or anyone who is interested.

I haven't read the essay you mentioned but I have read Niewenhuys'
"Children's Lifeworlds: Gender, welfare and labor in the develping world".
Hence I would deeply appreciate a copy of the essay you recommend. I would
also like to learn more about the cyber mohalla project.

On the subject of childhood, I have found the following works of immense
interest and importance to shaping my own assumptions. Look forward to a
continuing dialogue....

Readings on Childhood:

Ariès, P. (1962). Centuries of childhood; a social history of family life.
New York,: Knopf.

Bissell, S. (2000). Manufacturing Childhood: The Lives and Livelihoods of
Children in Dhaka's Slums. Unpublished PhD Dissertation, The University of
Melbourne.

Boyden, J. (Ed.). (1997). Childhood and the Policy Makers: A Comparative
Perspective on the Globalization of Childhood (Second Edition ed.).
Hampshire, UK: The Falmer Press.

Boyden, J., Myers, B. & Lindgren, B. (1998). What Works for Working
Children. London: UNICEF and Radda Barnen.

Boyden, J. (2001). Children’s Experiences of the Consequences of Conflict:
Focus on refugees and defining exclusion. Unpublished Manuscript, Oxford.

Cunningham, H. (1995). Children & Childhood in Western Society since 1500.
New York: Longman.

de Mause, L. (1974). The History of Childhood. New York: The Psychohistory
Press.

Holloway, S. & Valentine, G. (2000). Children's geographies and the new
social studies of childhood. In S. L. H. G. Valentine (Ed.), Children's
Geographies: playing, living, learning (pp. 1-26). London: Routledge.
James, A., Jenks, C. & Prout, A. (1998). Theorizing Childhood. New York:
Teachers College Press.

James, A., Jenks, C. & Prout, A. (1998). Theorizing Childhood. New York:
Teachers College Press.

Jenks, C. (1996). Childhood. London: Routledge.

Kakar, S. (1979). Indian Childhood: Cultural Ideals and Social Reality.
Delhi: Oxford University Press.

Kaufman, N. H., & Rizzini, I. (2002). Globalization and children:
exploring potentials for enhancing opportunities in the lives of children
and youth. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.

Nieuwenhuys, O. (1999). Children's Lifeworlds: Gender, We