[Reader-list] Beeti Vibhavri Jaag Ri : Delhi ke cityscape mein Dik wa Kaal

Vijender chauhan chauhan.vijender at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 00:39:00 IST 2005

Following are some of the observations I want to make on certain
aspects of my work so far:
This city is assortment of metropolitan space that is lined with
artificial light. Imagine the city as sea of lights-
infinite...endless...sea. In fact you 'see' darkness only because
there are High Mast light houses to show you. In fact it can be safely
said that metropolitan darkness is where artificial light is absent.
Visits to C.P. (my tongue jus refused to let anything like
Rajiv/Indira chowk come out), Yamuna bridge at I.T.O. and old yamuna
bridge. Chandni Chowk, Pitampura Tower, Roshanara Bagh, Some flyovers
were also visited. I mus admit that 'visits' so far has not reached to
the point that I can claim befriending this landmarks and I know
unless I befriend blinkers (Most signals becomes blinkers at night) at
Janpath they wont tell me a story. Anyway due to some old relationship
with some cityscape landmarks I do have some tales to tell. Not sure
if list is the right forum to share these so I am keeping these tales
for some other time.
Now some problems i desperately need to resolve:
A friend pointed out that though interacting with cityscape is a good
idea but someone from the city as me can not 'view' the city from
distance. Distance is necessary for expressed experience to be
authentic; this issue needs to be resolved through methodology. Not
yet figured out but working on it.
  It was also realised that heaps and heaps of garbage at sanitary
landfills and other not so pleasant cityscape landmarks are missing
from the list. I plan to include at least some such places.
A valuable criticism received was that any effort to touch the
Time-Space perception of city will remain 'tourist venture' unless
'city under construction' is also accounted for. Time and resource
permitting, I hope to get a feel of it as well.

I request once again to you all to suggest writings, drawings,
paintings, music, films, photographs, graffiti, kahavats, galis...
whatever that you believe is expression of Delhi's time in space or
Delhi's space in time. But to limit my work whatever you suggest
should have occurred, capture or describe pre dawn Delhi (3-4 AM).

Thanx