[Reader-list] More on caste and the city: now in Surat

SPACE space4change at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 16:13:07 IST 2005

Now, ghettoisation on caste lines

SUDHAKAR RAO
TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 05, 2005 09:46:06 PM ]
SURAT: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/981708.cms

Sanjay Mehta, a diamond worker, had bought a house at the newly-built
Shivdarshan Society in an upper middle class locality of Puna Gaam in
Surat in April. After he paid about Rs 3.38 lakh, which was part of
the bungalow's cost, he was forced to give up the house when some
residents found out his caste.

"When the residents learnt that I was not from their caste, I started
getting threat calls and eventually I had to withdraw my offer and
take back my money," says Mehta.

As if community-based ghettoisation was not enough in Gujarat,
caste-based ghettoisation is becoming a harsh reality in an outwardly
progressive city like Surat. Social scientists believe this could be
the revival of the hegemony of particular classes, who feel threatened
by cosmopolitanism.

Some of the signboards outside housing societies blatantly say,
"Ahiyan Patel sivaay koiye rehvu nahi ke koine bhaade aapvu nahi, koi
jaat na ghar nu levad devad karvu nahi" They are mostly visible in
areas like Katargaam, Varachha and Punagaam.

The ghettoisation is to such an extent that if an outsider moves into
the area, the residents revolt. Even during the TOI team's visit to
such areas, a group of residents took objection and started asking
questions.

Laxmanbhai Mehpani, a Patel staying in the Shivdarshan Society says,
"The mental make-up of the people is such that nothing can be done
about this." A drug store owner, Sanjay Bhayani, who lives in the Shiv
Shakti society in Puna Gaam, says, "We don't want non-Patels to stay
here." He argues that if Varachha is dominated by Saurashtra Patels,
Pandesara is identified with Oriyas, Palanpur Patia with
Maharashtrians.

"Surat is one of the more cosmopolitan cities where some castes are
feeling threatened, as a result of which such polarisation develops,"
says Satyakam Joshi, a well-known sociologist.

Former president of the Surat Bar Association Babu Rayka says, "There
is a traditional conflict between certain castes, so this is mainly to
keep off rival castes from their localities."

Local MLA Dhirubhai Gajera, who represents Surat city (north), feigned
ignorance about the banners in Katargaam and said, "I will not comment
until I see the banners." Water resources minister Narottam Patel, who
represents Choryasi, which covers the Unn Gaam area, said, "I am not
aware of such a thing and cannot comment on the issue sitting in
Gandhinagar. If such a thing is happening, then it is wrong."