[Reader-list] pirate, private, public and property

Ken Wark warkk at newschool.edu
Mon Jan 10 15:30:11 IST 2005

Greetings. For those who were at the incredible
conference on Contested Commons/Trespassing
Publics (and for those who weren't) I thought i
would take the liberty of posting my thoughts
on the issues raised in the concluding discussion.
cheers -- Ken Wark

Pirate, Private and Public Property -- Outfoxed
McKenzie Wark
warkk at newschool.edu

There are two kinds of thinkers, suggests
Isaiah Berlin: foxes and hedgehogs. Foxes are
impatient. They jump about from topic to
topic, always moving on. Hedgehogs on the
other hand are methodical. They work away
at one problem, without dodging the parts
that are hard going. Tackling the rocky
question of 'intellectual property' is certainly
going to be a task for hedgehogs. But
perhaps there's a role for foxes, too. If one is
going to keep on digging the same hole,
deeper and deeper, as hedgehogs do, it
might help to know if one is digging in the
right place. Perhaps it is easier going if one
starts elsewhere.

Speaking of foxes, there's an old European
folk tale in which your wish can come true if
only you can avoid thinking about the foxes'
red tail. This of course proves impossible and
the wish is not granted. I think we have the
same problem with the 'intellectual property'
question. If only we could avoid thinking
about the p-words * public, private, pirate
and property * our wish might be granted,
wed might be able to think the question
critically and usefully.

An uncritical use of the term 'piracy' poses a
particular problem. Pirates acquire property
that is not theirs by right. It's not hard to see
the desire that attaches to being a pirate. It
has something to do with enjoyment, in the
psychoanalytical sense of the term. A pirate
enjoys what belongs to the other. But the
problem is that attaching one's desire to this
figure only serves to legitimate the 'right' by
which the other claims something as their
property, for their enjoyment, in the first
place.

Where 'intellectual property' is concerned, it
is far better to begin from the opposite
assumption. The one who copies something is
not stealing what does not belong to them.
Rather, the copier claims culture, knowledge,
information as something can belong to
anybody. Culture is made by all and belongs
to all for the enjoyment of all. That is the
assumption from which to start if one wants
to produce a critical theory, rather than
merely upholding the norm.

The same goes for public and private. It is a
temptation to advocate for a public culture, in
opposition to the privatization of all
information we see going on all around us.
But here one merely reinforces the binary
relation of public and private. One's support
for the public is really support, at the same
time, for privatization, for the private cannot
function without the public as its supplement,
as what takes care of the aporias and
dysfunctions privatized information inevitably
entails.

All three of these terms * pirate, public,
private, necessitate each other. The public is
what is not private and vice versa. The pirate
is any illegitimate appropriation outside of the
public/private binary. These are the lines
drawn in the sand, as it were. The challenge
is to think past the lines in the sand, and think
the shifting, molecular, granular materiality of
the beach itself. "Beneath the pavement lies
the beach", as they said in Paris in May 68.
The beach, as it turns out, is the stunningly
odd way that information actual moves and
mutates as it passes through * and constitutes
* the social body.

To think through the lines in the sand *
public, private, pirate * is to think in the place
of the state. It is to align oneself with one's
inner bureaucrat. That might be all well and
good if what one wants is a thought about
'intellectual property' that might assist in
policy making or business plans. But it won't
do for thinking critically about the granular
processes of information itself. If one keeps
digging the same old hole here, one will miss
what is right before our eyes, and running
through our fingers, as the very think that
needs thinking: not the categories of
property, but the sand itself * information.

Information wants to be free but is every
where in chains. And it really is strange stuff.
It is always material, and always relational,
but it has no necessary relation to any
particular material form. With the coming of
the digital we spiral back to the conditions of
orality, where information really can circulate
beyond the realm of scarcity.

Now, lest one think this is a utopian
proposition, something wild-eyed, futuristic,
or techno-libertarian, I should hasten to add
that this challenge to scarcity in the realm of
information is happening everywhere, every
day. In Delhi its happening in the Pelikar
market, where movies, music and games of all
kind are for sale, in complete disregard of
anyone's 'intellectual property'. It's the same
in New York, where on certain street corners
you can pick up any software you might
want, or a nice Gucci bag, for not much more
than the price of the materials and labor.

Information not only wants to be free, it is
free. It keeps escaping from any and every
material form, finding its way from one hand
to the next, through a bewildering array of
relations. Sometimes it's a commodity,
sometimes it's a gift. If we were to follow it as
it traverses the social, it probably passes from
gift to commodity and back against more than
once.

John Frow has made the bold assertion that
"there is nothing outside of property". Here I
make the equal and not quite opposite claim,
at least where information is concerned.
There is nothing inside property. It is merely
a fetter, an imposition, a hollow form imposed
by an obsolete mode of production. To think
critically is to think outside of necessity; to
think instead in the realm of the virtual. No
critical thinking is possible here at all if we just
blithely accept the necessity of property *
whether pirate, private or public * as if it
were natural, eternal and inevitable.

While critical thinking is turned toward the
virtual, to the real possibilities latent in what is
actual, it is not some idealized or utopian
future. It is the turning into a concept of what
is already suggesting itself in actuality, of
what is already appearing, here and there *
in this case, those glimpses of the virtuality of
information. The coming of the digital
provides the historical moment when we can
finally think outside the limits of property.
The digital realizes the promise of
information, the promise of an escape from
scarcity. For the first time, on a scale that can
traverse the whole social field, my possession
of something need not deprive another of it.
And that thing is information.

The pirating of information is thus a logical
impossibility. To pirate something is to
dispossess a rightful owner and deprive them
of the enjoyment of the thing. But the coping
of information deprives nobody of anything.
Information has no necessary relation to
property, and hence no necessary relation to
the division of property between public,
private and pirate. All that is interesting
about an ethnography of information, or a
history of information, is what escapes from
these tired state-imposed norms.

It might be argued that the world is a
complex, diverse place, and that these
abstract remarks must cede to the detail of
particular worlds, be it the world of the video
parlors of Nigeria or the information bazaars
of India, or the covert disc factories of China.
But it is only as a professional scholar that
one need be so wedded to the particular.
After all, if there is nothing all that particular
about one's particular field of study, one
loses the only legitimate reason for building a
career by studying it.

All well and good. But when it comes to
building trans-local networks that might act
on a knowledge of the dawning reality of the
slogan "information wants to be free", that is
where what might be far more useful is
precisely an abstract, transversal mode of
thinking. One cannot make connections with a
mode of thought that thinks like a
bureaucrat, with everything in its right place
and everything assigned to its proper owner.
This is the other criteria for a critical theory.
A critical theory starts by bracketing off the
categories through which a messy world is
'managed', it discounts their apparent
naturalness and necessity, it looks in
everyday practices for what escapes from
that necessity, it produces the concept of
these granular movements * and, finally, it
points its concept outwards, toward linkages
and networks for expanding the realm of
freedom.

Critical thinking outfoxes the administration
of though. It refuses the double bind of the
red, red tale of the red, red tail of the fox.
Administered thought works like this: you
can have your freedom, the stated quite
casually concedes, if only you can stop
thinking of the state! And of course, the
injunction is structured to make the state the
very site to which one's enjoyment is tied.
Ooooh, but if I stop thinking of the state I
lose its structuring distinctions, its lines drawn
in the sand! Better not do that! Better to
keep digging the same hole, within the lines it
has drawn for us, and pretend the possibility
of escape never arises. Better to be a
hedgehog.

To which the fox relies: "what state?" Look, I
jump here, I jump there, drawing this diagram
of a network. The fox thinks alone the lines
already there, traversing the social, the lines
along which information communicates. The
fox will find blockages, interruptions,
boundaries and corruptions along the way to
be sure. But will not mistake them for
anything necessary. From the foxes' point of
view, the productive, creative jostling of all
those grains of sand on the beach * the
everyday acts of creative labor * comes first
and last. State and law are secondary
categories, which stabilize and partition it.
Even a fox might come to agree that state
and law are good things. But the fox will
always have the critical perspective from
which to see that state and law are not
natural and given. They could very well be
otherwise.

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/WARHAC.html

McKenzie Wark ~~~~~~~A Hacker Manifesto
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/