[Reader-list] IBM frees 500 software patents

Oli oli at zeromail.org
Wed Jan 12 22:08:09 IST 2005

Just think about eclipse (eclipse.org), an IDE that so nicely fits into the
'open source community', a big success, and IBM saved a lot of money,
because PR was not necessary anymore. They are just using the 'community'.
The story of eclipse is far more complex, and I am only interested in one
point here: open source more and more becomes an 'Adapt or Die' strategy,
and it is an competitive advantage to jump on the open-source wagon,  which
seems to be the future of software as a commodity (yes!). Look here:

 <http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/management/04/05/10/2052216.shtml?t
id3D85>

"Seven open source business strategies for competitive advantage" is not
just a proposal that might be of interest, but it's already a paradigm in
contempory software development.

The strategies names are telling a lot what it is about:

The Optimization Strategy
The Dual License Strategy
The Consulting Strategy
The Subscription Strategy
The Patronage Strategy
The Hosted Strategy
The Embedded Strategy

So, open source is not innocent. It's a tool being used more and more for
competitive advantage. How does the 'open source community' react? Is this
an issue and for whom?

-Oli

--On Wednesday, January 12, 2005 12:39:42 +0530 Pankaj kaushal