[Reader-list] (no subject)

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Wed Jan 12 20:05:09 IST 2005

I agree absolutely with the comment below; certainly writing is also
subjective mode of perception; and for that matter, basic sensory
perception itself is mediated and constructed in many ways, as the
neuroscientists have been showing us for a while now.

However, I'm not sure if I agree with your reading (if my reading of
your reading is correct) that the Milosevic article was necessarily
pointing to the "inadequacies" of photography, or arguing that a textual
net could do any better without bringing its own limitations in tow.
There is, of course, a question that the article raises over whether
"going and seeing for yourself" is in fact a more unmediated activity
than looking at Delahaye's photograph or reading newspaper reports, but
in my reading this question is kept in constant tension throughout the
article and not resolved one way or another. This is something for
Ananya herself to address-- so we could be clear at least about what her
intentions were.

My question would be, why does the question of subjectivity
continue to bring about so much anxiety?

There was a time when "scientific instruments" such as the camera or the
microscope claimed a certain higher authority because they supposedly
gave more accurate readings (the pun is instructive) on external
reality; then it was discovered over time that they did not. Yet,
despite this shift, the primacy of the "objective" account seems to have
lingered on-- that one continues to call one's enemies subjective, that
the critique of objectivity is only deployed against, say, "inaccurate"
colonialist accounts of the other.

I want to remind instead, that subjectivity can be used as a positive
force, that it can lead us further into the truth (to deliberately, and
not innocently, use a currently unpopular word) than objectivity, at
least as often as not. The Milosevic article is a perfect case in point.
A retired professor of linguistics arrives at the podium in a suit; the
lawyers fumble and fail to zero in on him in their self-invented
universe of rules and regulations; but a photographer-- and indeed a
historian-- are able to offer powerful, subjective readings that show
him up for what he really is.