[Reader-list] IBM frees 500 software patents

Oli oli at zeromail.org
Fri Jan 14 17:57:06 IST 2005

Thank you Pankaj,

yes, there's nothing wrong about your arguments. And it is possible that my
point is not interesting for you. But still:

What if Open Source is a competitive advantage; the *better* capitalist
strategy?

And yes: the basic idea of sharing the code is untouched. But as we (those,
who share the code) are not all in the same economic/social situation (e.g.
IBM and me), Open Source works as an amplifier of already existing
inequalities. You claim Open Source to be neutral to its surroundings. And
I think this focus is too small. Technology and its policies always relate
strongly on society and player in the society.

I do not think that isolating the GPL from society and economical relations
is a helpful step. The Public Domain is not a good concept, when some are
able to use it to improve their leadership, what we are exactly facing with
IBM. That's my simple point. Sharing between unequal parties: thats what
open source promotes, when being contextualized in social and economical
sourroundings.

Oh yes, everyone should get paid! And thank you again for promoting the GNU
perspective.

-oli

--On Thursday, January 13, 2005 10:57:07 +0530 Pankaj kaushal