[Reader-list] IBM frees 500 software patents

Aarti aarti at sarai.net
Fri Jan 14 15:20:12 IST 2005

Dear All,

Thank you for an interesting discussion on the rights and wrongs of open
source and the possible pitfalls ..I am not sure what exactly you mean
by it being a "better" capitalist strategy. A better capitalist strategy
for what? I'm assuming to make profit. But thats what enterprise is
about. The point, I would imagine, is that as long the source code is
out there for everyone to use, modify, distribute as they deem fit, the
same freedom then also extends to IBM. If IBM wishes to develop
proprietary extensions on OSS platforms which users wish to buy, good
luck to IBM. But equally, open source allows you and thousands of coders
and developers to customise software solutions for users and charge for it.

I am not sure what you mean by 'amplifying exisisting inequality'. I
mean I know what you mean as a general principle which is that the more
powerful will be able to make better and more eficient use of existing
commonly held resources. But this is true of almost anything one can
think of and by itself is not a very interesting observation. By this I
dont mean to suggest that questions of acess deriving from real social
and economic inequality are not important. But perhaps we need to think
of different ways of approaching those questions rather than working
with strict "if its good for capitalism it must be bad for us" binaries.

best
Aarti