[Reader-list] Re: [Urbanstudy] Is the City of Dreams Lost in the Emerging Urban?

solomon benjamin sollybenj at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jan 14 10:30:56 IST 2005

 Hi
I find Zainabs posting very useful and suspect, cities
are of dreams -- even of those who once settled in a
city dream of elsewhere. I think that  in potraying
the "poor" as victims, we remove their space of
dreaming. Is then a city, even in its 'non-normative'
sense, a place where people dream, and if so, when we
present a normative prescriptive approach:
This is how cities should be ---- , via a Master
Planned approach, via a Conservation program, via a
"Movement empowerment" mode, do we then remove the
ability of people deserving of this approach, an
ablity to dream at their own terms?

Three wonderful books, some mentioned earlier:
Shantaram, Rachiere's The Philosophy and the Poor, and
____'s The only women detective agency (or something
like that..). Each of these suggest the dreams of the
ordinary into the extraordianry, and where dreams are
set within the daily grind. When 'sqautters' get
together to transform a street to a ritual of a loca
shrine, in claiming space they too dream..Rachiere's
book seems particulary useful in this regard.. as it
poses in the artisan as the poet, artist and more...

In a sense, there seems today, as reminded by Rachiere
in the actions of our globally connected MNCs and
Fergussions, Mc Kenzies, PWC, and also our own
feternity of architect, urban designers, social
activits, conservationistist, attemts to subvert these
dreams, a passion for transformaing urban space for
local ritual, for relationshops out of the ordinary
and a new imagination.

=====
Dr. Solomon Benjamin
#32, 2nd. 'A' Cross, 10th. Main