[Reader-list] First fellow ship report from Vasudha Joshi: Memories/Arguments

Vector tarana at cal2.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jan 18 13:14:13 IST 2005

Interiors:
I sit in 189 Sarat Bose Road, looking through the windows again. Broken
glass panes that I will probably never get around to repairing. For 16 years
these panes have witnessed conversations, singing, drinking, stories,
histories, projects that never happened, proposals that never got written,
proposals that got written but the films never got made, shoved away in old
files gathering dust in cartons.

Today I took out one of the cartons and dusted some files. I found old files
called Bengal/Delta/ Ritwick/Deepak - another project that began but got
ship wrecked and filed away.Deepak's notes: a translation of Yayati. His unfinished bio data at the back
of which he has scribbled notes.His incomplete translation of Titash, the novel. Reviews he wrote and other misc notes.

His last performance was at the hospital, where he acted out the river struck madman in Titash again, before the second stroke that felled him

This is just a note to say I am getting them scanned at the moment, and putting them on a Cd for the final presentation...along with a story of what that was about...

There is a lot of dusting out of old files to be done for this project. Apart from going out clicking Lake Market that will soon turn into a mall and ofcourse visiting Howrah and catching up with Ramaswamy and his Howrah project when he has the time.And scanning Maya's great grandmothers travelogue of which I managed to locate 3 out of 5 instalments some years ago, that she wrote in Bangalakhi (1930) and correspondence that is lying around in a bag

I'm looking forward to this. Have to scan a lot of stuff before I write again. Till Next month
Vasudha Joshi