[Reader-list] Story behind the Colorization of Mughal-E-Azam - FIRST POSTING

Abhishek Sharma abhi1200 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 20:50:09 IST 2005

Dear Members,

Hello, this is Abhishek Sharma from Mumbai, presenting my first posting on the reader list as part of the Independent Fellowship project titled; Colorization of Mughal-E-Azam (MEA).

My project deals with the story behind one of the biggest comebacks in world cinema. Last year in the month of November the history repeated itself' this time in Color! Legendary film maker K.Asif's magnum opus; MEA opened to packed houses all over the nation in its new digitaly enhanced and colorized avataar. This fellowship study focuses on researching and documenting the creative, technical and commercial significance of this phenomenal film.

To tell you breifly about myself, I am a graduate from National School of Drama and currently working as a project developer in the Hindi film industry. I, being a part of what they call "bollywood", completely understand the significance of this event.

In this regard, I started my communication with Mr.Deepesh Salgia of Sterling Investments, who worked as the project Director for MEA Color. He has been kind enough to share with me the entire experience of handling the most complicated colorization process in the history of world cinema. For record, the technical teams had to work extensively on 300,000 picture frames to get the whole film in color.

I have already started my communication and meetings with all the top technicians and creative persons involved in this project and must say that what these men have achieved through this film is simply unprecedented in the motion picture history. It is not only the colorization but also the complicated sound re recording on the Dolby 6.1 mix sound track, which puts this film as the first of its kind on the world map.

The inspiration behind all this mammoth exercise is no one else but the late K.Asif himself, who wanted his epic love story to be seen in color. His dream has been materialized in the 21st Century and this film has comeback to rule the Box office once again.

My project will cover this historical comeback from the very begining, tracing the very origin of the idea, the complicated process of restoring each and every damaged frame of the film, the detailed craft of colorization, the conversion of mono sound to Dolby digital surround sound, the extensive and unique publicity campaign and finally the result at the box office.

This is currently the first and only documentation of the making of the colorized MEA and finally I want to get it published as a book. I hope it will be appreciated by all cinema lovers around the world.

Looking forward to suggestions and feedback.

Yours' Sincerely

ABHISHEK SHARMA