[Reader-list] inde fellowship - first posting

Punam Zutshi pz at vsnl.net
Mon Jan 24 00:41:35 IST 2005

Thanks for your first posting which sounds extremely interesting.

I have a number of questions a sociologist of knowledge:

What readings /scholars from Science and Technology studies and Development
Studies have you been looking at?

What was the outcome of attempt to understand deforestation, which I imagine
was undertaken as a professional geographer   for a project?

Depending on the hypotheses you are working with from STS and Dev Studies,
it would be interesting to know if GIS acts to displace the local knowledge
of farmers.Does the planning-friendly nature of the technologies of GIS
necessarily involve   the NGOs as disseminators of this knowledge to
farmers? Or are these questions outside the scope of what you are engaging
with?

What aspects of the hype around GIS disturbed/bothered you?

In my extremely limited view, I imagine it is a technique that arises out of
the emergence of satellite technologies.Could we non geographers be educated
about the history of the technology and its use in India?

Punam Zutshi