[Reader-list] the slaughterhouse meeting and blogging

Ritika ritika at sarai.net
Wed Jan 26 00:42:20 IST 2005

Dear all, this mail is for those who are reading up some of my work on
slaughterhouse and who occasionally read my blog - that i must admit
that as of now i am an irregular blogger...but

Last Saturday I met Junko Uchizawa - a japanese writer, illustrator and
a book binder. We chatted for almost 4 hours and it was quite
fascinating. Here's a jist of our conversation:

Junko is an independent writer. because she is also a book binder - she
knows how to make paper etc. SO everytime she would make bind books -
she would use paper to do the same. Once she wondered that why wasn't
she using leather leather to bind books. She went to her master and he
advised her against it. He said that the work of making leather is a
closed occupation and also dirty and that she should avoid it. However,
she was insistant on learning how to make leather from tanneries etc,
and that's how she got interested in the world of slaughterhouses.

In course of her understanding on how slaughterhouses and tanneries
operate, she learnt that in Tokyo - there are seperate zones in the city
which are referred to as zones of "compensation for discrimination". In
this zone live specific community called - Bokuru - who are in 'dirty
jobs'. The municipality offers them elecricity, facilities, money -
everything - just that they are meant to stay in a specific zone.
The butchers there are now fighting for their rights. They feel that
they are not doing any 'bad' thing and that people should 'respect'
their work.

Junko is researching the slaughterhouses of the world to understand the
specific relationship the community shares with this work and the rest
of the population with this work and the butchers. She's been to
Morocco, Egypt, CHina, taiwan etc etc....now she had come to delhi -
india and has plans to go to US as well.

She showed me the magazine she writes for. Obviously is was all japanese
for me!! I shared my research interests and reserch material and she was
obviouly excited.

In a nut shell, it was fun to meet someone from differnt part of the
world - but doing such similar work.

Blogging is not only fun....it helps in doing research as well!!

On that 'preachy' note

take care
ritika
--
Ritika Shrimali
The Sarai Programme

http://blog.sarai.net/users/ritika

What good is that life which does not get provoked or provokes.
Gottfried Benn