[reader-list]IT SANK BY 8 cms-is it the beginning of the end?

Sabir Haque sabirhaque at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jan 26 16:07:00 IST 2005

What sank by 8 cms.
--------------------

A temple build over a 40 yrs old ashram, which was
surrounded by farming land, over 1000 farmers were
dependent on it. The ashram was demolished, the
farmers were overthrown, a future of opportunities was
unvieled for us...the citizens of Delhi. What else can
we ask?

We have in our hands, the most glaring example of
defiance of human values and ecological care -
Akshardham Temple.

In a never disclosed news (read "media"), farmers
around that land claim that the akshardham temple have
sunk 8 cms. The construction is no longer happenning.
Although we are still checking out the details. Does
it really come as a shock?...frankly, we were
anticipating it.

What will happen to Yamuna? Or rather How will it
affect us? High rise building on the river banks, when
it is a common knowledge that the river yamuna lies on
a faultline. Does this still manages to scare us?

This  research is titled "Developments on the Eastern
Banks of Yamuna - its future implications". It will
mainly  document the lives of the rest of the farmers,
who will be directly affected by the Akshardham temple
& Commonwealth Games village, and the topographical
changes waiting to happen in the destined site. The
eastern bank river bed area is disputed, and
Commonwealth Games village is following the same model
on which Asian Games went. The population is closing
on to the river extracting every bit the river could
offer.

We have been already involved in a project concerning
the yamuna bed - a film completed just two weeks back
titled "Fistfull of steel". A screening will be
organised under the aegis of Hazard Center & Lady Shri
Ram college. The venue will be finalised soon, we will
inform you more about it once the venue is finalized.

Well, this is our first posting, will get you more
from the site itself.

do keep checking this space,

Sabir Haque
Nidhi Bal Singh
Leena Rani Narzary

Our Brief
----------
Sabir Haque: Working as a visiting faculty ("New
Media") at CMAC, Rai University. Presently editing a
documentary film titled "Crises in Crimson". A
freelance editor and digital artist.

Nidhi Bal Singh: presently based at NDTV, working for
the program titled "Gustaki Maaf". A freelance editor
and looking forward to make interesting documentaries.

Leena Rani Narzary: A freelance producer, loves on
work on socially relevant themes. Three of us have
just finished our Masters in Mass communication from
AJK MCRC, Jamia Millia Islamia.

Looking forward for a positive response from you all.

sabir haque
new media evangelist
www.whatasight.bravehost.com
email: sabir.haque at gmail.com