[Reader-list] Independent Fellowship - monthly posting

Jitendra Srivastava jitendra82003 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 12:49:48 IST 2005

Ek Shahar Ke Roop Mein Gorakhpur Ki Pehchan Mein Gita Press Aur Kalyan Ki Bhoomika

Gorakhpur is named after the leader of the Nath sect Guru Gorakhnath. The oldest mention of the place is related to Nath sect. The saint poet Usman of the times of Mughal king Jehangir writes about Gorakhpur in his epic ‘Chitravali’.

“Aage Gorakhpur bhal desu nibhahe soyee jo Gorakh bhesu

Jahn Thahn marhi gufa bahu ahai. Jogi jathi sanasi rahai”

(I find Gorakhpur, nice place where the people are all saintly. Everywhere, I find caves and saints)

Today you will not find caves in Gorakhpur, but certainly saints in the Gorakhnath. It is not our intention to discuss Usman’s poetry but to prove that the city existed 400 years ago. It is reported in literature and it is known for Nath sect. It is also to be seen that it is connected with Buddhism also. Raghupati Sahai “Firaq”, the famous Urdu poet of Gorakhpur describes the city as:

‘Gorakhpur is not only the place which Baba Gorakhnath made his abode’. It is also the place where a prince was deeply hurt on seeing a bird hit by an arrow. He got engrossed duply into knowing the reasons for pain and later on become the star of Asia.” Firaq Gorakhpur identifies the city with Gautam Buddha. Firaq is a poet of modern era and thus characterizes Gorakhpur with a philosophy that is acceptable to all.

It needs to be researched when and how Gita Press shot into fame and people starting knowing Gorakhpur for Gita Press. Today the city is known for Gita Press. According to Dr. D.N. Verma, the former Head of the Department of Physics of Saint Andrews College opines that there is no doubt that Gorakhpur is known for Gita Press. Even today, you find Kalyan and other books of Gita Press in majority of Hindi speaking homes.

Dr. Jitendra Srivastav

IGNOU

Maidan Garhi

New Delhi-68