[Reader-list] Hypertextual Poetry: A Study of MSN Poetry Communities

Punam Zutshi pz at vsnl.net
Fri Jan 28 02:10:14 IST 2005

Dear Nitoo Das alias River,

Talking of rivers there has been a veritable flood of Sarai postings lately but I would like to thank you and Keith Hart whose e mail id is significantly Memory Bank and the Sarai Reader List which allows some of us who have a secret  Eng Lit ( and now Regional Writing as it is called) fascination, an entry into these new spaces.And even as I get set to post it off comes your reply to Keith...

Had no idea of poetry communities but am glad to overhear these conversations about them and wonder aloud about pseudonyms and artist workshops. Some would say Shakespeare was a pseudonym.Then there is the question of an identity as a collective identity rather than an individual identity.Artist's workshops would be one example.

And what about the the ability to understand the nature of poetry? Is this going to be part of this cultural studies exercise?

About online communities, tangential thoughts perhaps:

What literary and poetic concerns are altered or affirmed by these? What role does poetry play in the first place? And what in the cyber second?

Do poets commune in some different way? Rheingold? Who might that be?

What do these new opportunities to be a net as against a paper poet actually imply? Do net poets not want to get published?

Are you saying that hypertextual poetry (in the English language) actually requires the lineaments of your Assamese
world to come into sharper focus for the editors if not the readers, even if you use a screen name? You must have chosen to use a screen name, why?

A question : would you share your poetry with the reader list to illustrate/elaborate some of the points you seek to make or would you rather we google our way at least to viewsunplugged.com and wait patiently for the report you submit eventually?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Punam Zutshi