[Reader-list] Jagran.ABC

Sunil pandey sunilmonika at rediffmail.com
Thu Jan 27 19:16:15 IST 2005

Jagaran that is jagarata is a north Indian tradition that has got well established in Delhi, through this Mother Goddess gets a charming welcome from her devotees not only devotees but organizers, musicians, singers, artists, sound system providers, electricians, confectioners, fruit sellers and many such persons also earn their bread through this celebration, but jagran parties are the central mode of this wide event.
it is very tough to get the real number of jagran parties in Delhi but we know their are some big names of singers such as Narendra Chanchal, Baljeet Deewana, Bansilal Bansi etc. Hollywood personality like Mahendra Kapoor and Jasvinder Narula also provide their time to this celebration in Delhi. While thinking about jagran parties we come to know the people who are working whole day and now they have to pay their devotions whole the night.

First of all I met Mandir Wali mataji named Savitriji. She is 'Mahant' of a temple near Maal Road. She says i was 19 years old when at first i felt the mother goddess last year this was her 35th Vishal Jagran, Organized by the temple and its devotees. "Tab Baaje Bahut Kam The" she says we had Dhol and Manjeera. We used to play 'Kanse Ki Thali' whole the night. Really this is a nice celebration when our food pots become instruments. here I could recall the celebration of babies, having their fill and playing "POTS" with their spoons.

In Gandhi Nagar I met "Dara Sound Wale" Sri Swarn Singhji he is related to jagrans from the last 23 years. He tells me about the tradition in Gandhi Nagar"________..... “Pahale Pakki Bhente (Songs) Bahut Jyada Gayi Jati Thi". This was the time when Sri Chandera Bali Sharma was Mahant. The Jagran songs can be divided in two categories Pakki Bhente means some traditional songs and simple Bhente are those songs which are developed on the tuning of a film song. The development shows that the trend of singing according to a Hollywood film song got air after a long journey of jagaran.

Most of the Pakki Bhents are found in Punjabi there are many books in the market that consist of both the types of bhents.

The journey of jagran might have travelled some certain parts of Punjab. What was the status of Jagran during the period of partition it had always been a question for me. What would had been the content of "Tara Rani ki Katha" then as we find there are many changes in it due to the circumstances.