[Reader-list] dastangoi

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 15:53:19 IST 2005

Dear Mahmood
Responding after much delay, also copying to sarai for
larger debate. I used the word ‘perversions’ for want
of a better term and I personally don’t believe wining
and eroticism are perversions (the reason why I put it
in quotes), but of course people like Thanvi and
Shibli would like to believe they are. But there may
not be any one standard of how these subjects were
accepted or not accepted in a Muslim society at any
time.

What should be termed ‘Islamic’ is difficult to
resolve – at least in my mind. But certainly we have
to be careful with a sort of ‘orientalist’ view. An
interesting example: a friend of mine who is a scholar
of Arabic literature, believed that Encyclopedia
Britannica is the ‘most authentic and exhaustive
source of information’ about any subject under the
sun, which Britannica claims any way. But this friend
was frustrated when his efforts in trying to find
specific info in Britannica about an Arabic novelist,
failed. I tried to help him look for the info, but to
our great puzzlement, we couldn’t find any large
article on ‘Arabic literature’ in the 32 volumes of
Britannica. Finally, we stumbled upon a huge entry
called ‘Islamic Arts’ which contained many pages on
literature of Arabic, Persian, Turkish and so on,
assuming that everything produced in those languages
is “Islamic”. My friend’s belief in Britannica’s
authenticity shattered completely. Fortunately, for
India/south Asia, they didn’t have an entry called the
'Hindu Arts' – they called is South Asian Arts. Also
they would never quote Shakespeare or Goethe as
Christian Literature.

So I am just wondering whether we should even use the
term Islamicate for literatures like the dastaans. I
personally don’t think that there is such a thing as
‘Islamic arts’. The spread of Islam may have provided
a vehicle of cultural exchange, altering people’s
worldview, and therefore a ‘sophistication of
pre-Islamic cultures’ is what we see as ‘Islamic’
arts. Of course, Islam’s iconoclasm has its own role
to play in all this. I have discussed some of this in
my own Sarai fellowship last year.

There are many non-Islamic folk narratives in India
which contain Islamic folklores or Islamic personages
(prophets/saints), and vice-a versa, (I have been
exploring such syncretic narratives in popular
devotional art), and I think dastaans, at least their
oral forms, are coming from the same local traditions.

One option would be to relate to arts or their
influences by their geography/demography rather than
religion. Of course there are gray areas with
everything you step in.

Yousuf

--- mahmood farooqui <mahmoodfarooqui at yahoo.com>

http://ww1.mid-day.com/columns/mahmood_farooqui/2005/january/101012.htm

> > Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage
> > less.
> > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

=== message truncated ===