[Reader-list] sunday book market faces closure.

lalit batra lalitbatra77 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jul 1 12:34:25 IST 2005

dear all,

i agree with ravi that we have to read mcd's decision to close down
daryaganj book market in a larger context. 'decongestion' and
'beautification' of old delhi is an agenda which is at least 73 years old.
but in recent times it seems to have acquired an urgency which was not
there earlier, at least, not since 1940s.
the draft master plan for delhi-2021, for instance, designates the entire
walled city, walled city extension and karol bagh as a 'special area' in
need of extensive 'redevelopment' to ensure 'modern services and
amenities' and create 'parking and open spaces'. the proposed
redevelopment plan entails shifting out wholesale markets and industrial
units, allowing transferable development rights and higher floor area
ratio and redesigning street pattern in such a way as to basically ensure
that 'all roads lead to metro stations'.
for daryaganj area 'comprehensive redevelopment schemes with conservative
surgery as a planning tool' has been proposed. it seems the first limb to
go in this surgery is the sunday book bazaar.

lalit batra