[Reader-list] july 7th book bazar dharna

khalid jamal zzjamaal at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jul 1 00:09:25 IST 2005

Buck up ,Bharti!!
I will join you with my friends..!!

What can be done by being there, right there physically, cannot be done any other way.

Resistance on Street is the best.

Let the motto be clear: Our rights or we bite!!

Bharati <bharati at chintan-india.org> wrote:

lawrence and others : while all these issues you mention have been discussed when the sunday bazar was shut down and then brutally pruned, we have decided to jump into the fire and begin with a protest. i am not sure an on-site protest is someting many people on this list may wish to participate in, (given the arguments about fighting it through the courts which should not, in my opinion, be done wihtout the kabaris saying yes and actively participating in it) but the dharan is what many of the kabaris want to start with. you are all welcome to join. the invite letter is as below.

bharati

***************

 Oppose MCD’s Decision to Close Down Sunday Book Bazaar

You might be aware that the MCD has decided to close down the historic Sunday Book Bazaar at Daryaganj in Delhi.

The book bazaar has existed for over four decades. It is a paradise for book lovers all over Delhi and beyond as a mind-boggling variety of rare books is usually available in this market at very affordable prices. It’s a cliché to say that books one can’t find anywhere else would be available in Daryaganj Sunday Bazaar. For many students this is the only place from where they can afford to purchase a book. From students to artists to designers to theorists to activists- Daryaganj is the favourate place to be on a Sunday. This is the reason why this bazaar has occupied an important place in the collective psyche of book lovers in Delhi for generations.

The decision of the MCD to close down the book bazaar has come as a rude shock since this bazaar is an integral part of Delhi’s culture and heritage. Harit Recyclers Association (HRA), a registered organization of small junk dealers, many of whom have been associated with the Sunday Book Bazaar, has decided to oppose this decision. Chintan-HRA have joined hands to hold a ‘Dharna’ outside the MCD office on July 7th as a first step.

We request all of you to come out in open against the arbitrary decision by the MCD. We request the members associated with Sajha Manch and other organisations and individuals to fully support and participate in Dharna.

For more information, please contact Shashi Bhushan Pandit of Chintan-HRA –9350271397 or quick mail at hra at chintan-india.org, you can also snail mail at

12-Jangpura Market, Near Eros Cinema, New Delhi-110014.

Date of Dharna:             07 July 05

Venue:             Town Hall, MCD Office

                                    Near Chandani Chowk

Time:                            11:00 a.m

ONE LIFE. ONE SHOT.

Happiness, Health & Peace,
Syed Khalid Jamal