[Reader-list] IMPORTANT

Aman Malik aman.malik at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 13:12:13 IST 2005

Dear All,

I am currently engaged in doing a story (for a mainstream Indian
publication) that seeks to analyze whether or not the "
need-cum-merit" scholarships, freeships and other such financial
assistance being provided to underprivileged Indian students, by
Indian universities/colleges (liberal arts and pure sciences) at the
BA,/BSc level, is enough and if not, what measures may be taken to
generate enough funds to help such students who lack financial
resources but may be otherwise deserving.

One of the plausible solutions that I am looking at is the setting up
of a corpus fund with participation from the side of the industry, the
government and the universities themselves.

This issue is extremely pertinent, especially because each year scores
of deserving candidates who wish to pursue a "liberal arts/ pure
science" degree, cannot do so at a college/university of his/her
choice as they cannot afford the same.

Moreover, the Planning Commision had recently indicated that
university fees might be hiked soon.

As a part of this study, I seek to interview such people who have
completed/are pursuing an undergraduate degree in the liberal arts or
pure sciences (or for that matter any non-technical stream) and had
faced/are facing financial constraints while pursuing the same.

Some of you might have had to forego admission to a
university/college/institute of your choice for want of financial
resources.

There might be people who, despite getting freeships/scholarships
and/or any other financial assistance would still have found it
difficult to continue with your degree program as the financial
assistance might not have been enough to meet all your academic and
related expenses.

If there are any such people on this group, please do get across to me ASAP.

My contact information:

E-mail: aman.malik at gmail.com, amanmalik000 at hotmail.com

Expecting a favourable response from your end.

Regards,

Aman Malik

New Delhi