[Reader-list] The Pages Of The Story: (publicity, promises...) - posting # 6

Prayas Abhinav prayas.abhinav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 00:55:31 IST 2005

Hi All,

I have completed the final selections of the photographs (See
"Something odd, a selection of 49 photos" at
http://prayasabhinav.net/article29.html ). I have also drafted
accompanying poems for all of them.

I am posting something else this month (actually last month, this is
June's posting). To write the poems, I arranged all the photographs in
my high school album. I kept every alternate pocket empty. In these
pockets I put pieces of paper and then one by one I wrote poems,
glaring at the photos.

The photos are the "immersing worlds" for each poem. They are not just
about what you'd think if you looked at the photo, they are the things
you'd think if you were in that environment. Walking or driving by.
What did he say, what did she say, that looks funny.

Advertisements in public spaces (on hoardings, generally) act as
anchors, pivots. Which initiate fluctuations in the mindscapes. So
some of these poems directly tackle my concerns, doubts, perspectives
about my city. Some explore the personal space, which habitats in a
tiny pocket of the city. Some tackle histories, stories, music.

When I had drafted out all my poems (last to last night), I could see
that the pieces of paper and the photographs had made themselves
comfortable in the album. Made themselves comfortable with each other,
made friends. These photographs and poems joined themselves together
and formed a story. This story of me moving around in the city, in the
summer. And yellow glimmering hoardings imprinting themselves in my
memory. These hoardings taking on a meaning, these hoardings never
seeming to talk to me. Because I was never in the market for jeans,
TV, motorcycle, car, loan, mutual funds...

So, yesterday morning I photographed my album. And this month's
posting is a web link to the photographs. All the pages of story.

Next month (this month, really), I will be posting the text of the
poems. I really need to work on them for a few days.

Hope you enjoy these photos, do comment,

best wishes,
Prayas Abhinav
"Publicity, Promises and the Public Space (in Ahmedabad)"

LINKS TO THE PHOTOGRAPHS (SELECTED 49):
http://prayasabhinav.net/article29.html

LINKS TO THE PHOTOGRAPHS (COMPOSITIONS):
http://prayasabhinav.net/article28.html