[Reader-list] Re: dastans, indian media

Punam Zutshi pz at vsnl.net
Thu Jul 14 02:41:47 IST 2005

Dear Mahmood ,

I seem not to have received the Reader List version of your mail, but I hope
it reached everyone else.

Thanks for not only the details but the 'feel' of the dastans and what
guided your performance.

I think I feel you're quite right in deepening your understanding of the
dastans before you frame it with apparent competence in the templates
provided by theorists.Certainly the latter should be engaged with, but not
without drawing out the structure/s of  the dastans and the capacity to play
with these by the dastangos themselves, and the theoretical insights they
provide.

The passage you reproduce from Faruqi is interesting for highlighting
British preferences.Why do you think the British patronised the ones they
did?

I do not know more about Prof Faruqi's work but would like the ultimate
triumph of virtue and justice not to iron out the earthiness , the non
ethereal aspects of human behaviour ( Also the fact that these were regarded
as subversive a point I will touch on later) ...Your performance gave us a
view that was quite different.I am more challenged by the fickleness, the
duplicity.. I feel however that what is equally important is the assumptions
the authors of these texts make about the human condition -- human beings,
their lives and motivations, their destiny -- The nature of illusion, the
nature of truth...

While the dastans speak of romantic love ( "on the surface") you also speak
of 'randibaazi'......This could be a theme for study...and could you
elaborate why Shibli and Thanvi felt women should be forbidden from reading
these texts which you describe as subversive, it also occurs to me to ask
were women present at the dastangoi.

You have clubbed your responses to two different mails in one but thanks
anyway.Shall respond to the latter portion  later.

Punam