[Reader-list] On Free and Fearless Speech and Listening

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 23:35:19 IST 2005

Shuddha,
Thanks for continuing this debate. I would like to
quickly mention a few things.
People like Vedavati are no longer an inconsequential
fringe group.They have to be engaged, for the same
reason that they try to engage us.I have found
Islamophobic elements in all stratas of society. So,
before trying to figure out why Ms. Jogi thinks the
way she does,lets give her enough respect and figure
out why I think the way I do.Ashutosh Varshneya's
thesis seems an important starting point.
This is the url:
http://www.usip.org/pubs/specialreports/sr101.html
And these are the conclusions for people in a hurry:
Conclusions and Recommendations

Deadly ethnic riots are not random, unpredictable
events. They are responses to certain conditions that
can be understood, analyzed, and prevented.
Governments can reduce the likelihood that ethnic
riots will break out by increasing the perception by
potential rioters that participating in riots is
risky.
While events at the national or regional level may
spark ethnic violence in India, the response to those
sparks—ranging from increased ethnic tension to deadly
ethnic riots—occurs at the local level. Therefore,
explanations of why some Indian communities respond
violently to ethnic provocations expressed at the
national level while others do not must be found in
factors operating primarily at the local level.
Inter-ethnic civic associations in India are very
effective in the effort to prevent or reduce violence.
They help dispel inflammatory rumors, identify and
isolate rabble-rousers, hide and protect potential
victims, and assist the police in crowd control and in
their investigations. Inter-ethnic civic associations
also provide pre-established networks of communication
across ethnic lines that can prove invaluable during
the chaotic circumstances that lead to ethnic riots.
Civic associations in India are effective in stemming
violence only if they promote the mutual interests of
two ethnic groups in concrete ways. Although further
research is needed, it appears that trade unions,
professional groups, opposition political parties, and
other civic associations that represent mutual
political, economic, and social interests across
ethnic lines are more effective in preventing violence
than civil society groups whose primary focus is the
promotion of inter-ethnic dialogue.
The most common response by citizens seeking to
prevent ethnic violence is to criticize and pressure
the state in an effort to make it accountable for its
failure to take appropriate measures to prevent
violence. While this strategy is important, a
different strategy that focuses on building strong
inter-ethnic civic associations at the community level
may ultimately prove more effective in reducing the
outbreak of violence in India.
Unquote

This article actually concerns itself with riots, but
I think it can be equally applied to bigotry or
religious fascism. Coming back to figuring out myself,
I come from an area of a city which was muslim
majority,still is.I have difficulty thinking of
Muslims as the other group.Even if I do, I dont have
to borrow muslim  stereotypes from Saudi Arabia or
Pakistan. I can find them closer home, I just have to
knock. Problem is, then they cease to be a stereotype,
but whatever.I think I can sacrifice the luxury of
painting the world in broad strokes.But have I always
been not guilty?What about the time when I visited USA
and held my bag closer to me when I saw an African
American coming from the other end of a dark alley?
What was I thinking ? All nig*** are criminals?
The assumption that people cannot be behaviourally
classified in a matrix of race,religion is far from
intuitive, in my humble opinion. In fact, the opposite
is true.We tend to make broad generalizations about
groups of people we dont know.Important thing is to
realize that they are just that, broad
generalizations. This is where Ashutosh Varshneya's
point of civic interaction gains importance.
regards
Rahul

=== message truncated ===