[Reader-list] sunday book market faces closure.

Anand Vivek Taneja radiofreealtair at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 11:07:37 IST 2005

Dear All,

Woke up to the horrifying news in this morning's Hindustan Times that
the Sunday Book Bazaar in DaryaGanj is going to be shut down by the
Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
(See, 'Sunset for Sunday Book Bazaar', Hindustan Times, Saturday, June
25 front page, Delhi edition.)

The Sunday Book Bazaar has, despite the occasional threat of closure
(1992, 2001), and one shift of venue, been around in Delhi for the
past forty years. It should count as a venerable institution.
Especially since in the virtual absence of good public libraries in
Delhi, this is one of the very few places where people can get quality
books at affordable prices. For all students, and for all lovers of
books, and for everybody in the city, the closure, if we let it
happen, is going to be a terrible loss.

The MCD and Police decision to shut the book bazaar needs to be
challenged. This mail is just to get some ideas going. How do we go
about this? Should those who want to save the Sunday Boook Bazaar do
some form of demonstration or sit-in in front of the Daryaganj Police
Station, across the road from the book bazaar?

Ideas, suggestions, action!
Cheers,
Anand
Ph - 93122-62109

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup.
(with apologies to Dilbert)
http://www.synchroni-cities.blogspot.com/

Only that historian will have the gift of fanning the spark of hope in
the past who is firmly convinced that without a sense of humour you're
basically pretty f***ed anyway.
(with apologies to Walter Benjamin)
http://www.chapatimystery.com/