[Reader-list] [Announcements] Turbulence Commission: "Fallout, Part I: An Open Repository"

Turbulence turbulence at turbulence.org
Mon Jun 27 19:52:33 IST 2005

June 27, 2005
Turbulence Commission: "Fallout, Part I: An Open Repository"
by Ricardo Miranda Zuñiga
http://turbulence.org/works/fallout

"Eleven of us shared beds, floor, and one tiny bathroom as the Somoza
dynasty came to an end in 1979.

When I returned to Masaya, the town was terribly damaged. The streets
and the Spanish stucco facades of homes were bullet ridden and marked
with the silhouette of Sandino. Although the popular revolution
succeeded, the economic and political rebuilding of the republic never
has. Why is this so?"

Today, Nicaragua is once again on the brink of political and economic
disaster.

"Fallout" is a two part project: the first--an open database of personal
accounts--will later inform part 2, an online game. Initiated by
requesting personal commentary from individuals representing several
generations of a single family, "Fallout, Part I: An Open Repository" is
now open for submissions by anyone concerned with Nicaragua or other
similarly imperiled nations. The site presents a written and graphical
history for those not familiar with Nicaragua and utilizes collaborative
software to investigate the enigma of the Nicaraguan national character.
"Fallout" potentially serves as a case study of the lasting effects of
globalization and U.S. interventionist policies upon developing nations.

"Fallout" is a 2005 commission of New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.
(aka Ether-Ore). It was made possible with funding from the Andy Warhol
Foundation for the Visual Arts.

BIOGRAPHY

Ricardo Miranda Zuñiga grew up between Nicaragua, and San Francisco.
Although his formal education has been within the borders of the United
States, his personal perspectives and ideology have been molded by a
bicultural reality, consisting of such polar elements as Disneyland and
the Nicaraguan Leftist Revolutionary movement. A bicultural upbringing
tied to a multidisciplinary education has lead to work that attempts to
cultivate interaction with the viewer and includes performance,
sculpture, video and audio, the Internet or a combination of all. The
principle behind the work is communication as a creative process.

Project Credits:

Conceptualization, Development, and Programming: Ricardo Miranda Zuñiga
Written History: Reynaldo Miranda Zuñiga
Conceptualization and Development Assistance: Karen, Mauricio, and Oscar
Padilla
Web Programming Assistance: John Kuiphoff

For more Turbulence Commissions, please visit http://turbulence.org/

--
Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org