[Reader-list] sunday book market faces closure.

Anand Vivek Taneja radiofreealtair at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 09:23:26 IST 2005

Hi All,

Once again, thanks for all the responses.
And a brief, and secondhand update on what happened last Sunday.
This is from a telephonic conversation with Moyukh Chatterjee, who is
a regular at the Sunday Book Bazaar, and who knows some of the
booksellers quite well - has their telephone numbers etc.

becuase of the rain and the uncertainity, only some of the booksellers
set up shop, and only with some of their stock.  Apparently, when they
were setting up, they were asked to leave by the Police, but becuase
of the presence of many news camera crews and journalists, the police
let off, and the market went on. (Which explains the next day's TOI
report.)

The market is apparently supposed to be shifted to the road behind the
Indira Gandhi Indoor stadium and the New Secretariat, near the
powerplant. This is where the 'Chor Bazaar' has been shifted to. I
think it is called Velodrome Road. But those who spoke to Moyukh were
very upbeat about setting up shop in Daryaganj next Sunday.

I agree with Ravi, we need to speak to book sellers before we start
any campaign. Let us seen what next Sunday brings.

Perhaps all of us who are concerned about this should just turn up  at
Darya Ganj next Sunday. Shuddha Sengupta has suggested talking to the
booksellers, and documenting and archiving the history of the
Daryaganj Sunday book bazaar... And there are a lot of other things we
can do.

Daryaganj on Sunday, then.
Cheers,
Anand

On 6/28/05, Bharati <bharati at chintan-india.org> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> many of the book sellers are also part time kabaris. a collegue of mine has
> been asking them what they hope to do and htier plans. i will keep you
> informed.
>
> bharati
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I will be happy to participate and / or help in taking this forward. We
> > should consider a range of options, including legal remedies, media,
> > street
> > protest, letters to mcd...but first we must also we should ask the street
> > book sellers what their view on this is.....
> >
> > ravi

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup.
(with apologies to Dilbert)
http://www.synchroni-cities.blogspot.com/

Only that historian will have the gift of fanning the spark of hope in
the past who is firmly convinced that without a sense of humour you're
basically pretty f***ed anyway.
(with apologies to Walter Benjamin)
http://www.chapatimystery.com/