[Reader-list] fast food chains

Jonatan Forsberg jonfor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 11:42:47 IST 2005

Howdy,

I find your research very interesting and since I come from Sweden,
McDonald's has always been a part of my life. First as The Place of
All Places to eat, always cheering when my parents conquered their own
disgust and took me and my sister there, then to where you went with a
frown with your class mates because there was no time for a pizza, and
then to where you went since it's the only place in town which is open
3 o'clock on a Saturday morning and you've just considerer starting to
chew your own leg.

Even though it is a fact that McDonald's in India serves ten times
better food than McDonald's in Sweden, I don't see where the need for
a fast food chain is in this country. The 'real' fast food, or street
food, is superb with Samosas, Aloo Tikkis, and countless other
fantastic dishes.

In Sweden there are three different kinds of fast food: hamburgers,
hot dogs, and Turkish kebabs (not anything like kebabs in India,
google "kebabrulle") I'm excluding pizza since food is hardly fast
when there is more than five minutes between the order, and the eat.

There are of course hundred different variations of burgers, hot dogs,
and kebabs; but to hit a street in India and find an uncountable
number of dishes, all of which I wouldn't mind spending a life time of
enjoying, and then stumble across a Pizza Hut or McDonald's restaurant
just doesn't make sense in the way, I'm very sorry to say, it does in
Sweden. Why would anyone pay 50 rupees for a slimy burger in a noisy,
stressful, and is-this-a-hospital-diner-or-what restaurant when you
can get a freshly fried 10 rupee Aloo Tikki just around the corner?

Health!
Jonatan