[Reader-list] film on sonagachi wins oscar

sudhesh sudhesh.unniraman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 07:50:19 IST 2005

rochelle

i have never said the film is bad or exploitative
that can only be said after seeing the film

my response was to a statement by the filmmakers that they would never
release the film in India

if you think this may be because we do not have a constructive
attitude towards sex workers how will that change if we keep self
censoring films on the subject

what would the response of the European media be if i made a film on
the same subject and told them that I would not release the film
there. They would not have like it at all.

Compare the making of the films Elizabeth and Gandhi. There was no
controversy in India for Gandhi - in fact we bent over double to help
the production but the British press said Shekhar Kappor was not
qualified to make the film and then they refused to promote it when it
 was finally made.

sudhesh