[Reader-list] film on sonagachi wins oscar

Aarti aarti at sarai.net
Thu Mar 3 14:31:21 IST 2005

Dear All,

Thank you for ensuing discussion on this film which none of us have
seen, but seems to excite much debate nonetheless..

A few more questions:

I am not sure if the analogy between anthropologists who plundered
civilisations of artefacts, and filmmakers representing a culture
diffrent from theirs, is very useful. In this I am not saying that there
cannot be 'orientalist' represetations of cultures, or that films, like
other representational forms, are innocent of historical baggage. But
there are good representations, indifferent representations and bad
representations. This is not to say that any representational attempt
is, in and of itself, one or the other. And I would certianly be very
uncomfortable with a position that said only 'authentic' subjects are
allowed to represent themselves. You can make a film about what you damn
well please. Whether it is a good or bad film (both in style and in
content etc) is a totally different question. How you make the film is
again a different question.

Secondly, there seems to some issue about the film 'not making their
lives better'. or it 'only changing the director's life'. I'm not sure
why this is problem. Why should it make anyone's life better? And if in
the process of making this film, the filmmaker discovered new
provocations, why is this process of discovery in any way questionable?

best
Aarti